Abuse Victims Immigration Lawyers in New York

Immigration Legal Assistance for Victims of Crime

In addition to suffering physical injuries, immigrants may suffer psychological trauma due to fear of deportation after an arrest. They may also face discrimination and prejudice in the criminal justice system.

An immigrant who has been a victim of crime has rights under federal law. If you believe you were victimized by a crime, contact an experienced victim immigration lawyer immediately.

Here are some things you should know about legal assistance for immigrant victims of crime:

  • an immigration lawyer can help you file a complaint with the department of homeland security
  • an attorney will be able to assist you during court proceedings
  • an immigration law firm can provide legal representation throughout the process
  • an immigration attorney can help you obtain asylum
  • an immigration attorney can help you apply for an adjustment of status
  • an immigration lawyer can help you obtain citizenship
  • an immigration counseling service can help you navigate the system

Victims of Spousal Abuse – VAWA

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) was signed into law by President Clinton in 1994. VAWA provides federal funding to states and territories to prevent and respond to domestic violence. Since its inception, VAWA has helped thousands of victims of spousal aNd domestic violence.

Men and women are equally covered under VAWA requirements. Domestic violence victims can self-petition by submitting Form I-360.

What Are The Requirements For Vawa Visas?

In order to be eligible for a VAWA visa, applicants must have been the:

  • victim of an abusive spouse
  • are the parent or child of the abuser
  • reside or resided with the abuser
  • have good moral character
  • have been victims of battery or extreme cruelty

Victims of Crime – U Visas & T Visas

At Markhoff & Mittman, P.C., our immigration law firm wants to make sure you’re safe as a victim of violence. Our attorneys have years of expertise handling situations involving victimized immigrants, and we strive to get each client the help they need. Our team works carefully to move as quickly and successfully as we can, and we can work with you to develop a compelling case in your favor.

U Visas Legal Assistance

U visas provide victims with immigration protection while also serving as a tool for police enforcement. The victim must receive a certification from law enforcement in order to apply for U status, but law enforcement personnel should be aware that doing so does not automatically confer benefits; only the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has the power to approve or reject such benefits.

A U visa is granted to individuals who were physically abused, raped, or trafficked and suffered severe physical or psychological abuse.

They may apply for permanent residence after living lawfully in the US for three years.

T Visas Legal Assistance

The T nonimmigrant status (or T visa) offers immigration protection to those who have been the victims of serious forms of trafficking in persons and who support law enforcement in cases of human trafficking investigation and prosecution.

Human trafficking is a type of modern-day slavery. People who are destitute, unemployed, underemployed, or lacking in the safety and security of strong social networks are frequently targets of traffickers. Victims are frequently seduced with promises of lucrative jobs and better lives before being made to labor in cruel and inhumane conditions. Many people think that human trafficking is a problem that only affects foreign nations, yet it also occurs in the United States.

Applying for a U visa or T visa

In order to qualify for either program, applicants must prove that they suffered harm due to an act of criminal conduct committed by another person. This may include physical abuse, sexual assault, robbery, stalking, fraud, theft, or any other similar offense.

  • Applicants must also demonstrate that they have no legal status in the country and that they cannot return safely to their home countries.
  • After proving eligibility, applicants must file applications with USCIS. They must submit evidence supporting their claims, including letters from law enforcement officials, doctors, therapists, and others.
  • Applications are reviewed within 120 days of submission. If approved, applicants receive permission to remain in the US for three years.
  • During this time, they must maintain lawful employment and report regularly to ICE officers. Applicants must also pay back taxes owed to the IRS.
  • After three years, they can apply again for permanent residency.

For more information on applying for a U visa or a T visa, call for a free consultation.

Support for Immigrant Survivors of Crime and Violence

Immigrants face unique challenges due to language barriers, lack of legal representation, and cultural differences. They may also struggle to access services such as housing, health care, education, employment, and immigration status.

As a result, these individuals often suffer from depression, anxiety, PTSD, substance abuse, homelessness, and suicidal thoughts. We must provide them with safe places to go and resources to help them heal. Our legal team at Markhoff & Mittman, P.C. offers compassionate legal guidance for immigrants throughout the state of New York.